Friday, September 14, 2007

People Using Musik

For the last week, I tried to be more aware of how myself and those around me were using music to get through their days. Music has always been a crutch i've willingly leaned on to get me through all kinds of situations. Some of those being (click linked titles to hear mp3s):

Setting up my new apartment. Moving and setting up new digs can be pretty stressful. Listened to: The Shop Assistants
Reading. Listened to: a compilation I made for a friend, consisting of Fleetwood Mac (yeah!), Pet Shop Boys, and the Church, etc.
Daydreaming on the subway. Listened to: New-Wave compilation (Thomas Dolby: Europa)
Afterparty at my house! Listened to: shoegaze
Remembering my trip to Berlin. Listened to: Swayzak
Falling asleep. Listened to: Cocteau Twins
To distract me from A in order to contemplate about B. Listened to: Love and Rockets
Seeking design inspiration: Chris and Cosey

Other people I observed were plugged into music on the subway (listening to ??? Often times, I overhear metal in particular blaring out of someone's headphones. Quite alot), hanging out on their steps in the evening warmth (playing hip hop), and driving down the street (playing LOUD hip hop).

H&M always some kind of techno pounding its walls and its shoppers. I have to say, it really does get me in the mood to buy a ton of clothing.

Restaurants used music too of course, to set moods or assign personalities to themselves. Or to identify with the majority of their clients (Enid's in Greenpoint is always playing Modest Mouse or Pavement, in tune with the indie clientele). Although this is similar to the restaurant assigning itself a personality. It's a which came first kind of question.

No comments: